Presentation is everything!
There is no doubt that selling a home can be a stressful period… but it really doesn’t need to be. At Realpro we aim to take the worry out of the selling process and can ensure your house is looking its best for sale.
A few simple techniques can make all the difference in securing a sale by making sure your house is presented in the best possible light will have a dramatic impact on the selling price.
The most important thing to remember is first impressions count! Once in the market you need to disassociate yourself and remove any emotional connection to the house… don’t look backwards, look to the future! Time is of the essence in these situations and the presentation process should begin at the exact time you decide to sell your house.
The Realpro team can ensure simple, cost effective methods to prepare your house for sale without the need for any major maintenance.
Inside the property
- Remove clutter - storage boxes are a must!
- Invest in a new doormat
- A complete spring clean - scrub walls, skirting boards, floors, tiles, windows, light switches and fittings
- Freshen exterior paint
- Check doors, windows, awnings, and blinds all open and shut properly
- Use your best linen on the beds and best towels in the bathroom
- Ensure all light globes are in working order
- Have all carpets, lounges and curtains professionally cleaned
Outside the property
- Wash down the external walls and clean gutters
- Sweep driveway and paths
- Clean windows and entrance door
- Tidy garage
- Keep bins out of sight
- Ensure pool, ponds and water features are well cleaned and properly functioning
- Clean garden umbrellas and outdoor setting
- Keep the lawn cut and edges trimmed
- Remove all weeds in the garden and turn over the soil or mulch
- Trim back trees and any overhanging plants
- Plant new flowers to add colour to the garden (try to match with the colour scheme of the house)
- Repair any damaged fences
- Remove oil spills from the driveway
- Remove any garden clippings and rubbish
- Keep all curtains and bedroom doors open maximising natural light
- Give each room a quick tidy, empty bins and vacuum or sweep where necessary
- Utilise lamps and flowers to create a homely, welcoming atmosphere
- Manage the temperature of the rooms if possible - cool in summer, warm in winter
- Remove your valuables from the house
- Keep pets out of the house and if possible out of the garden
- Leave the property during the inspection - the meet and greet should be left up to the real estate agent who will take down the details of everyone that visits the home and follow up later
The main idea here is to maximise the appeal of the house without spending a fortune. The whole process shouldn’t cost you the earth and with the help of those close to you (family/friends) you should have the house presentable in a relatively short period of time.
Styling your home
Hiring a stylist can make all the difference. If you feel the interior of your home is looking a little tired and outdated, for an agreed fee an experienced stylist can temporarily replace your furniture and give the property a complete makeover
If your garden is beginning to look like a jungle hire a gardener to get it under control. The gardener will also know which plants and flowers will add to the overall appeal of the house
Timing is everything
Try to coincide your inspection times with sunny weather. Natural sunshine will paint your home in a whole new light!
Renovations can add significant value to a property but you can run the risk of overcapitalising. Interestingly enough many buyers are also looking for a ‘renovators delight’ style home so in some cases you are better off saving your money. Always ensure you speak to a real estate agent before undertaking any major changes!
Most importantly try to enjoy the selling process. Avoid stress by being wellprepared and use the people around you to help carry the work load.